Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Regarding the title of this blog...

Some may wonder. Some may not care. Some may not have noticed. 
The title of this little blog is "Blitheringness." It's my own small attempt to send a nod in the direction of one of my favorite writers PG Wodehouse.

As an example from his story Jeeves and the Chump Cyril:

"Well, never mind about him, Jeeves. Read this letter."

He gave it the up-and-down.

"Very disturbing, sir!" was all he could find to say.

"What are we going to do about it?"

"Time may provide a solution, sir."

"On the other hand, it mayn't, what?"

"Extremely true, sir.".

We'd got as far as this, when there was a ring at the door. Jeeves shimmered off, and Cyril blew in, full of good cheer and blitheringness.

"I say, Wooster, old thing," he said, "I want your advice. You know this jolly old part of mine. How ought I to dress it? What I mean is, the first act scene is laid in an hotel of sorts, at about three in the afternoon. What ought I to wear, do you think?"

I wasn't feeling fit for a discussion of gent's suitings.

"You'd better consult Jeeves," I said.

"A hot and by no means unripe idea! Where is he?"

"Gone back to the kitchen, I suppose."

"I'll smite the good old bell, shall I? Yes? No?"

"Right-o!"

Jeeves poured silently in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You’ll have to read the story to get more. He was quite a genius of the written word. A conductor of communication, a troubadour of terminology, a director of discourse, an adviser of articulation...if you will. If you won’t, your loss.

Wodehouse had a way of articulating classes to the masses that made you laugh off your asses.

Yeah...just ignore that outburst.

But you really should read some Wodehouse. And then some more Wodehouse. I have many many more writers to recommend, but I will begin with PG. 
© 2013 Kara Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Musician, writer, humorist, lover of language and puzzles, scholar, incessant searcher for knowledge, improv performer.